So you have a brand new tattoo, and you want to make sure it heals perfect? Wonderful! These aftercare instructions will be your ticket to success! If you follow these instructions, you should have a perfectly healed tattoo after! But we do want to be transparent, your new tattoo is a very large open wound, meaning it is entirely unpredictable. Infection, fall out and other mishaps can happen, and if they do we will always be able to help you through that too!
With that being said, here is your ticket to success!
Saniderm instructions :
1. Wear your derm for up to 5 days! In some situations your artist will give you spare derm to change 24 hours after your tattoo. This isn't always necessary and is usually reserved for larger pieces which will typically seep more than smaller pieces.
2. After the 3-5 days with your derm, you will take the derm off. We suggest taking it off in the shower to help it peel off easier.
3. Wash your new tattoo with an unscented antibacterial soap. For the first 24 hours after removing the derm, you will only wash your new tattoo with antibacterial unscented soap, and let it air dry.
4. After 24 hours of just washing, you can start applying unscented lotions or tattoo balms. We do not recommend anything with a petroleum base, as this traps bacteria, and does not allow the wound to breath.
5. Do not over moisturize, moisture is a breeding ground for bacteria. We recommend 2-3 times a day, if it seems to be super tight and dry you can moisturize a little more, but if its not tight or dry, do not over do it.
6. If you start noticing any redness, irritation, or pus, immediately stop moisturizing and ramp up the antibacterial washing. These are the first signs of infection, and you want to stop it in its tracks!
Healing without saniderm:
There is always a chance that you are allergic to derm. Whether you know it ahead of time, or find out while wearing it, it can happen. Healing without derm is very similar to healing with it, if you skip steps 1 and 2.
Do steps 3-6 as seen in healing with derm. When healing without derm you are at more risk of scabbing. DO NOT pick your scabs. If scabs are picked, you are pulling out ink, which can cause your tattoo to heal patchy and uneven. This can also cause extra scarring, and put you at higher risk of infection.
While healing a new tattoo, do not swim, sauna, hot tub, or bathe. Showers are perfectly fine. Avoid long exposure to sunlight for 2-3 weeks, after the 2-3 weeks, keep sunscreen on your tattoos to help them age well!!
Things to not use on healing tattoo :
Recommended products to use:
Dial Gold Liquid or bar soap
Handmade shea butter soaps ( No perfumes or dyes)
Cry baby aftercare
Recovery tattoo soap